Major road crash leaves 18 dead, 3 injured in northeast Egypt
Road accidents, often linked to speeding, claim thousands of lives each year in Egypt.

Published On 20 Feb 202620 Feb 2026
Save
A collision between a truck and a passenger pick-up in Egypt’s northeastern Port Said province has left 18 people dead, mostly fishermen, and three others injured, according to reports.
The crash at approximately 12:30pm local time (10:30 GMT) on Thursday occurred on the 30 June Axis highway, to the south of Port Said, according to Egypt’s state-run Al-Ahram newspaper.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
Survivors of the collision are being treated in hospital, and public prosecutors have launched an investigation into the circumstances of the accident, according to Al-Ahram.
Images from the scene of the accident posted online showed the aftermath of the crash, with a pick-up truck crushed between two large cargo trucks and debris scattered across the road, The Associated Press (AP) news agency reports.
AP said the pick-up truck was transporting fishermen to work at fish farms in the coastal Port Said area.
Attending the inaugural meeting of United States President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace in Washington, DC, on Thursday, Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly sent his condolences to the victims of the collision and ordered that financial assistance be provided to relatives of the deceased and injured.
Madbouly said in a statement posted on Facebook that he was following up on the incident through reports from the governor of Port Said province.
Deadly road accidents are common on Egypt’s roads and claim thousands of lives each year in crashes often involving microbuses and heavy trucks. Speeding, poor road conditions, and lax enforcement of traffic laws have been cited as contributing factors in collisions.
Advertisement
In June last year, a truck collided with a minibus, killing 19 people, most of them teenage girls, according to local officials.