Met asks Andrew’s protection officers what they saw or heard in Epstein inquiry
11 hours agoAnna LamcheandHelena Wilkinson,News correspondent, Windsor

Reuters/Phil NoblePolice are asking Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s protection officers to come forward with any information that might be relevant to inquiries relating to the Epstein files.
It comes after suggestions former protection officers may have turned a blind eye to some of Andrew’s activities, particularly on sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s island.
The Metropolitan Police said it was “identifying and contacting” former and serving protection officers and asking them to “consider carefully” whether they had seen or heard anything.
Separately, searches are continuing at Andrew’s former home in Windsor following his arrest on the Sandringham Estate on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Andrew, later released under investigation, has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
It remains to be seen whether Thames Valley Police (TVP), the force which arrested him, will bring charges against the former prince.
Nine police forces across the UK are considering whether to launch investigations, following the release of more than three million documents in the Epstein files.
The Met has not identified any wrongdoing by any protection officers at this stage and said no new criminal allegations had been made to the force regarding sexual offences said to have occurred within its jurisdiction.
“The Met is identifying and contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor,” it said.
“They have been asked to consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard during that period of service may be relevant to our ongoing reviews and to share any information that could assist us.”
The force also said it was aware of the suggestion that London airports might have been used to facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation, and was assessing this information and seeking more detail from other law enforcement bodies, including in the US.
Meanwhile, the government is considering legislation to remove Andrew from the line of royal succession, the BBC understands.
On Friday, unmarked police cars and vans were seen coming and going at Royal Lodge, the sprawling 30-room Windsor property where Andrew lived for many years.
Andrew only left the mansion in February, following the fallout from the latest drop of Epstein files.
Aerial pictures show what appears to be a large police evidence tent within the grounds of Royal Lodge. At one point more than 20 vehicles could be seen parked at the property, although it is not known if all were connected to the investigation and searches.
Officers will be going through the property room by room, working out if there is anything relevant to their investigation into Andrew.
If any evidence is found it will need to be stored and logged. It is a process that can take time.
Searches at the property are likely to continue until Monday, the BBC understands.


For the last two weeks Andrew has lived on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where police said they had concluded their searches.
At some point the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and Thames Valley Police will have to decide whether to charge the King’s brother with misconduct in public office.
It could be weeks or months before any substantial decision is made.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrest
The CPS is yet to become formally involved in the TVP investigation, the BBC understands.
This means that while there may have been some discussions, CPS lawyers have not given detectives any formal advice about how to proceed with the investigation.
A CPS spokesperson said: “We are in close contact with police regarding high-profile individuals.
“We remain ready to support any police investigations if needed.”
Andrew’s arrest comes after the latest tranche of Epstein files appeared to show the former prince had shared sensitive government documents and commercial information with Epstein, a convicted sex offender.
Reports from trade visits and a confidential briefing on investment opportunities in Afghanistan are among the documents Andrew appears to have shared with him.
The Epstein files also suggest Andrew passed a Treasury briefing to a personal business contact.
Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial or political information about their official visits.
And while the police have made it clear Andrew is being investigated for misconduct in public office, the specific nature of the allegations is not yet clear.
It is possible the police investigation extends beyond the emails seen widely in Epstein-related documents published in the US.
Buckingham Palace has said they will support TVP in their inquiries.
This means the police may have gone to the Palace, or could still go to the Palace, asking to see communications between Andrew and others, which could bring new evidence to light.
Andrew, who was stripped of his titles late last year, is the first senior member of the Royal Family in modern history to be arrested.
He has always denied any wrongdoing arising from his relationship with Epstein and has not responded to specific BBC questions about the files released in January.